Crisp Autumn Eve 3 Column from TCBOTB

Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Xmas Day 2010 at Gma Chris's .... and our feverish little Evie

Onto the Xmas Day fun at Grandma Chris’s house in Coon Rapids. Like I had said before in the previous post… we got to Gma Chris’s late on Friday (Xmas Eve) night and immediately put the kids to bed. We adults sat up for a while chatting and getting things organized for the next day … then headed to bed ourselves to rest up for yet another fun filled day, or so we thought.
I woke up around 4am (cuz I cannot seem to sleep through the night since having kids) and just happened to check on Evie on my way to the bathroom. I noticed she was breathing different… almost like groaning or moaning. So I felt her head and she was HOT. Luckily I had remembered to pack the thermometer and Motrin/Tylenol, so I grabbed that and she was at 103.7 degrees. I gave her some Motrin and had her drink some water – which she guzzled and she went right back to bed… but not me. No… I stayed up and worried and kept checking her to make sure she was okay and that her temp was going down, which it wasn't going down fast enough to make me comfortable. Eventually I fell asleep again … and luckily all the kiddos felt like sleeping in, cuz I didn't hear a peep from anyone until about 8:45 when Oscar woke up and wanted to get out of the room. Shortly after we all got up and headed down for the tasty breakfast my mom had made for us – Sausage Egg Strata and Carmel Sticky buns. It was right about that time that I realized I had forgotten to pack diapers. Yes.. you are reading that right. I FORGOT TO PACK DIAPERS. I had packed enough in my diaper bag to get us through our stay at Bonnie and Deans and a little extra, but that was it. I think it was because usually when I go to my mom’s for a visit, she picks up diapers for me so I don’t have to pack them up. I cannot believe I completely forgot about diapers. So after we had breakfast I had to run to Walgreens (the only store open in the vicinity) and pick up size 3 and 5 diapers. What an idiot eh? And I should mention …. Evie didn't eat anything at breakfast (which is weird for her, she is SUCH a good eater) AND she was also shaking the entire time like she was freezing cold. We took her temperature and sure enough she was spiking again. So she got a dose of Tylenol which seemed to help…. For a while.
The original plan was that we were going to have the kids open their presents and stockings immediately after breakfast … but we also wanted to wait for Uncle Dennis to arrive, so we decided to wait until later, but we did allow them to open one present each and dig into their stockings. The boys got two more pieces for their Dinosaur Train collection, and Evie opened up yet another Snap ‘n Style doll – Elena. I should note cuz I forgot to mention it in the last post… Evie also got two more Snap ‘n Style dolls from Bonnie and Dean – Erica and Kerri, as well as a few more snap on outfits). The boys were pretty happy with the load they got from their stockings too as they got quite a few more vehicles – and Ice Cream Truck, Snow Plow, Mail Truck, School Bus and two Tractors, some rolling pins for their play doh, and something new for them – kaleidoscopes. Evie’s stockings were filled with…. Stockings, literally. She got a ton more packs of socks (2T/3T – the size she is moving into) and a cute pair of striped tights. At this point we also started digging into some of the presents they had gotten from Bonnie and Dean the night before, which the kids enjoyed… but not Gma Chris as her recycling bin was full to the brim with all the cardboard and plastic from all the packaging. Hee hee – there is a method to my madness.
Uncle Dennis got there around noon … which was when Evie hit her wall and was getting groggy, as well as spiking yet ANOTHER temperature. She had on this super cute outfit …. A long turtle neck sweater she got from the Ledweins for her birthday, with some matching Matilda Jane leggings … but she was feeling so miserable and hot that we had to strip her down, and even that didn't help. So she got yet another dose of Motrin and off to bed she went for an early nap. She took a nice long one too – which she probably needed. During her nap time we snacked on the huge schmorgesborg (did I spell that right?) of food my mom had put out …. All sorts of dips, chips, veggies, crackers/cheese platters, Xmas cookies, AND we set up a couple of the boys new Thomas TrackMaster sets that they had gotten the night before from Bonnie and Dean. They played with those for the longest time. Then Uncle Dennis’s girlfriend, Danielle, arrived and the boys pretty much swarmed her having them read to her and showing her all their toys and such, though they also liked playing shy and coy with her at times too. Little flirts.
Evie woke up around 3:00ish and was still a little warm, but not so bad that she needed to be medicated again. So we decided it was time to dig into the presents. Again…. I will do some serious injustice if I try to list everything they got from Gma Chris and Uncle Dennis… so I will just give some highlights. For the boys…. The highlights were the two different packs of Wedgits ( - a starter tote, complete with starter board, and a deluxe pack – and a couple more TrackMaster engines (Mavis and Diesel) from Gma Chris AND the numerous TrackMaster train car sets that they got from Uncle Dennis. But the biggest highlight, surprisingly, was probably the Karoke/Sing Along Machine they got ….. it plays 15 different songs to sing along with and can even distort your voice to sound like a child, a man, a robot etc. MacKay LOVES singing his ABCs and Twinkle Twinkle Little Star in it …. I think this might be a good way for them to learn some more songs. Evie wasn't feeling so great so we had to open her presents for her … but she got a wardrobe (storage and lighted mirror) for her Snap ‘n Style dolls, along with another snap on outfit or two and an outfit for her Little Mommy dolls from Gma Chris. And the classic Fisher Price remake of the Record Player/Phonograph from Uncle Dennis .... complete with 5 records (2 songs each, so 10 total). I remember having one of those when I was little so that really took me back.
Poor little Evie didn't even make it 2 hours being awake before she started getting tired again…. And spiking yet another fever. She was making us nervous though as she wouldn't eat anything (she hadn't eaten at breakfast or lunch) and, to boot, wasn't drinking anything we threw at her either. So she got another dose of Tylenol and she was off for yet another nap. So while she was conked out, we decided to dig into dinner – Porketta. Mmmmmmmmm. After dinner we just relaxed as we were all stuffed. Evie woke up around 6:30 and was actually in much better spirits for the last few hours of the day that she was awake for. Still a little needy and whiny… but not nearly as bad as earlier in the day. And for once…. She actually felt cool. Evie played with her dolls and all of the boys toys, while the boys played with their Wedgits (which Uncle Dennis couldn't resist the urge to join in on) and sang along with their karoke machine for all of our amusement. And for me… the highlight was when Gma Chris brought out the Lemon Angel cake (more like a pie). I only get to have this once, maybe twice, a year as it usually only rears it’s lovely head on special holidays or occasions. Yum…. It is to die for.
Not much more to tell about Xmas Day… we played out the rest of the night. Dennis and Danielle eventually left around 8pm, and shortly thereafter we put the kiddos to bed. Evie got one last dose of Motrin before bed though she wasn't really at a temperature I would normally medicate at…. But it was nighttime and I never want to gamble with them spiking in the middle of the night. I was getting nervous too… because if she wasn't going to get better and was going to still need fever reducer medication throughout the night I felt like it would be best that we left Evie behind when we went to Gma Diane’s the next day. So I was just hoping it was just going to be a 24 hour thing …. Which it pretty much turned out to be. We all went to bed, and though I checked Evie periodically throughout the night, she was cool as could be and woke up in VERY good spirits on Sunday (12/26) morning, our typical Evie. So we rushed to get the kids breakfast (though Evie still wasn't eating), dressed and ready to be out the door and on our way to Gma Diane’s by 10am …. To go to our final Xmas celebration for 2010.
Here are some pictures from our time with Gma Chris on Xmas Day. I am regretful to say we did not get a family picture like I had hoped to get (from all the Xmas celebrations) for my family as Evie was just so miserable and under the weather. We were so focused on trying to deal with her when she was awake, and she just really in a picture taking mood. Thank god for Gma Chris though – she was the one that Evie wanted a lot of the time when she was feeling miserable … and Gma was more than happy to hold and comfort her the best she could (which also gave me a little break here and there).
Evie feeling like her old self between fever #2 and #3 on Xmas day. (Note: wearing the cute outfit I mentioned above... sweater from the Ledweins)

Gma Chris's stockings for the kids

The kids digging into their stockings .....

Evie playing on the bulldozer about an hour before fever #3 hit and she started feeling miserable again

The boys opening their presents from Gma Chris and Uncle Dennis - MacKay was feeling shy and trying to hide, and Oscar decided he didn't want his face to show in the picture while trying to show me a book he got

Playing with Wedgits.

Again, stay tuned..... coming soon: our final 2010 Xmas celebration at Gma Diane's

No comments: